Item History (General)[Show/Hide]
Item Condition (Specific)
PLEASE NOTE: INFORMATION in the Item History section is REGARDING COMMON ATTRIBUTES TO THE ITEM (ie size, year of production, color, scarcity, etc).
None of what follows has anything SPECIFIC to do with this listing and the actual item could vary in terms of completeness or manufacturing variations. Please see "Item Condition" for specifics to this listing.
When originally conceived, the French SPAD VII and German Albatros D II represented steps away from an emphasis on maneuver in aerial combat in favor of speed and durability - factors that came into play in hit-and-run tactics. At the end of 1916, however, Albatros tried to have the best of both worlds by incorporating the sesquiplane wing of the nimble Nieuport 17 into its D III. The result combined the better downward view and maneuverability of the Nieuport with the power and twin machineguns of the Albatros D II, but at a high price - a disturbing tendency for the single-spar lower wing to fail in a dive. While Albatros (and the Austrian Oeffag firm, which built the fighter under license) sought to alleviate that weakness with various reinforcing measures, the Germans developed tactics to maximize the D III's strengths and minimize its shortcomings. At the same time, the French worked to improve the SPAD VII with more power and a more reliable cooling system before moving on to the twin-gunned SPAD XIII. While all that was going on, the Albatros D III became a mainstay of the German and Austro-Hungarian air services in frequent encounters with SPAD VIIs flown by French, Belgian, British, Italian and American airmen.
Stock photo. From adult owner estate. Item has original owner's name written on inside page - otherwise in nice condtion.